Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 21, 2008

One Must Die For Another to Live

An adapted, rewritten 'sermon.' Completely true.

Today is the day where we remember the day Jesus was condemned to death, and died for our sins. I have a story of my own I'd like to tell. Quite some time ago, when I was but a little munchkin I spent countless days with my uncle, Tony, who lived in Manhattan. I loved him like no other. He always knew how to make me smile. When I went to his house he kept me entertained with games, usually the board game 'Sorry!' He was the only adult then I knew that really made me feel comparable to him, a large adult. He was a devoted minister to the Catholic church, one of two in this family. He worked at a nearby church, and everyday from 6-8 in the evening, he could be found in his office preparing homilies and such. He was very studious. He was loved by many. One day around his 43rd birthday, he was diagnosed of a fatal disease of the liver. (I don't recall exactly what.) I remember the doctor telling him he had but 30 days. I also remember numerous friends and family members visiting him, bringing with them an aura of last respects. They were apalled to see his bright and shiny face, with a grin from ear to ear. Never have I ever met a more positive man than him. He cooked huge feasts for all that came. He usually gave gifts to all that came, and whenever they brought up his illness, he'd say, "What good has dwelling on negative thoughts ever brought you?" He stayed with a smile on his face. This man was ready to die. He was ready to give in to life. On this Good Friday, I've just realized why. He had already died. As Jesus had commanded his followers, the apostles, he had given his soul to the Lord, Jesus Christ. This is true to life today. Just think, that beefy hamburger you bit into, or that filet you munched on both came from something living. Vegetarians don't scoff at me. That celery stick was killed, too. This always has, and always will stand true for the rest of eternity. Chicken does not come from a grocery store wrapped in a plastic shrinkwrap. The spirit of the Lord and the religion of Christianity still lives due to those that have already died. They give all of their lives towards helping others, and serving Jesus. Thanks to them, many have faith. He was ready to die, which brings me to my title...

Amen.

1 comments:

Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beholder said...

I was at that mass! Nice paraphrasing. and I love the happy ending =)